Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Meet the Heroines: Elinor and Marianne


 Elinor and Marianne are as delightful and different as two sisters can be. I should know: I have 3 sisters. 
My younger sister and I were complete opposites growing up.
She was a tom-boy. I was the girliest girl of us all.
She crawled under the porch and stirred up a nest of yellow jackets. I played inside with my miniature tea sets and paper dolls.
She was an amazing athlete; I couldn't hit, catch, or kick a ball to save my life.

But we did have some things in common, especially now that we are adults. We both love to laugh. We both are the mothers of sons. We both love fiercely.

Elinor and Marianne are much the same. Their difference can easily be pointed out, as the introduction to my novel states:


“Elinor and Marianne are carefully contrasted, in their attitudes to men, poetry, painting and prudence, in their conception of love and their discretions or indiscretions of speech” (Drabble x). 

One of the primary ways the sisters differ is in their emotional expression (a facet of Sensibility). When discussing Elinor's feelings for Edward, Marianne hopes to tease a confession of love from her sister. She cannot believe that Elinor will not even admit that she has "a crush:"

“I do not attempt to deny,” [Elinor] said, “that I think very highly of them—that I greatly esteem him, that I like him.”
Marianne here burst forth with indignation—
“Esteem him! Like him! Cold-hearted Elinor!”

This clash of emotional expression will provide us with much more conflict (can you say "drama"?) in future chapters. Stay tuned...

However, these sisters do have much in common as well. They are both beautiful (though Marianne outshines her older sister just a bit):
Elinor (Emma Thompson) 1995
 "[Elinor] had a very delicate complexion, regular features, and a remarkably pretty figure. Marianne was still handsomer. Her form . . . was more striking; and her face was so lovely, that . . . she was called a beautiful girl . . . Her skin was very brown, but from its transparency, her complexion was uncommonly brilliant; her features were all good; her smile was sweet and attractive, and in her eyes, which were very dark, there was a life, a spirit, and eagerness which could hardly be seen without delight" (Chapter 10).
Marianne (Kate Winslet) 1995
Also, surprisingly, Elinor and Marianne both possess "sense" and "sensibility." We often categorize Elinor as Sense and Marianne and Sensibility but Austen doesn't place the girls in these rigid boxes. In Chapter one, she describes each heroine this way: 
“Elinor, the eldest daughter whose advice was so effectual, possessed a strength of understanding and coolness of judgment which qualified her, though only nineteen, to be the counselor of her mother….she has an excellent heart; her disposition was affectionate and her feelings were strong; but she knew how to govern them.”

“Marianne’s abilities were in many respects quite equal to Elinor’s. She was sensible and clever, but eager in everything; her sorrows her joys, could have no moderation. She was generous, amiable, interesting: she was everything but prudent.”


Of course, the key quote for Elinor is that "she knew how to govern" her feelings. We often see this as a strength, but...perhaps not. As we move through the novel, look for instances where Elinor's extreme self-control may be a detriment to her. 
Elinor 2008 BBC
 For Marianne, her key quote lies at the end of Austen's description: "she was everything but prudent." 

To me, Marianne just seems very, very young. I love this exchange she has with her mother in Chapter 3:

Marianne: “Mama, the more I know of the world, the more I am convinced that I shall never see a man whom I can really love.”

Mrs. Dashwood: “Remember, my love, that you are not seventeen.”
Marianne 2008 BBC
Can't you just hear Mrs. Dashwood's dry tone? I love it. Classic Austen.

Compared to Marianne (and, let's be honest. We just can't help but compare them), Elinor seems like an old soul, all most too self-composed. Does anyone else want to see Elinor's polished exterior crack just a little bit? Marianne feels the same way:


“Even how her self-command is invariable. When is she dejected or melancholy? When does she try to avoid society, or appear restless and dissatisfied in it?” (Chapter 8).

Personally, I feel like I am more like Elinor in her self-control and emotional fortitude but I truly admire Marianne's unreserved emotional nature, how she seems to embrace life and love, and how she clings to her ideals and dreams with passion. 




Let's Talk about It (post your thoughts to one or more of these questions below or on the FB group): What  are your initial thoughts on Elinor and Marianne? 
Who do you relate to the most? 
Who would you like to be friends with? 
Who would you like to be? Do you find yourself, like me, relating to one heroine but wishing you were like the other?

We'll continue to get to know these two leading ladies as the novel progresses!

PS: Have you watched the two video versions of S&S? Though I have seen both the 1995 and the 2008 versions, the BBC mini-series is my favorite!

2 comments:

  1. I think I relate most to Marianne, but I would rather be friends with Elinor, because she seems more reliable and trustworthy. Like Marianne, the Lord gave me a sensitive personality, and I tend to react emotionally to people and situations. However, I have always dealt with shyness from the time I was a tiny child. As I've grown older, I seem to have learned to be more controlled about emotional outbursts and in some ways have become more like Elinor - thinking before I blurt out things that could hurt other people. I still think it is important to express myself, though, and not just keep my thoughts and feelings hidden.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I relate too, to your experiences. I feel things very deeply as well and am sensitive to art and music, like Marianne. But I think growing older has taught me wisdom...which is what Marianne needs to do and gain. Thanks your comment Patsy!

      Delete